Grammar: Verb and Adverb



A: Verbs signify action, state or situation. Adverbs modify verbs. Verbs and adverbs are closely linked. In the paragraph below, verbs are bold and adverbs are underlined.

It was the time but he was shivering and trembling timidly. He could run away; but he knew that the destiny of the family depended on him. The greatest challenge lay before him and he was perplexed. It was yesterday that he had made the promise not to draw back feebly. But now, he seemed to be breaking his promise. He stepped ahead boldly; but drew back shamelessly. He saw, he found the target, but he couldn’t conquer. He usually didn’t behave like that. Perhaps, he was not feeling well. He was good no more. He had fallen old. At least, he mustered up his courage manfully and entered the butcher’s shop to snatch away the bit of meat under his table. He often made his day timidly or boldly.

B: There are many kinds of verbs and adverbs.

Auxiliary verb e.g. Can, Could, Should, Do, Does, Did, Have etc.
Copular verb e.g. Is, Are, Am, Was, Were etc.
Stative verb e.g. Seem, Feel, Look etc.
Dynamic verb e.g. Kill, Eat, Beat etc.
Finite verb e.g. Goes, Works, Plays etc.
Non-finite verb e.g. Going, To Play, Working etc.

C: Transitive verbs require objects to complete meaning but Intransitive Verbs do not require objects to complete their meaning.

He killed (What?) Sense is incomplete.
He killed a snake. Sense is complete.

He died yesterday. (No object required)

Concept (3): there are some verbs looking like nouns and adjectives looking like verbs. They will confuse you a lot.

D: Adverbs modify verbs e.g. He drank tea quickly. I spoke English fluently. 

NeoTips
The option B is correct, 'She drives car fast' because the word 'Fast' is both an adjective and adverb. Option A, 'She drives car fastly' is wrong because the word 'Fastly' is not used in English. 

Exercises

1. Correct the following Adverbs.

1. He has friendly relations so he meets friendly.
2. They were cowardly so they ran cowardly.
3. She was a manly girl and behaved manly.

2. Correct the following sentences.

1. He was died yesterday.
2. The old man was thirsty and he drank.
3. Please go and get your beard to trim.
4. His brother absented from class yesterday.
5. Wise people always avail opportunities.
6. The tea is tasting so strangely.
7. He worked and qualified himself for the job.
8. 11. I bathed myself and went to mosque.
9. Are you hearing this noise?
10. She behaves as if she is a princess.
11. I wish I pass my exam!
12. Don’t you live here, are you?
13. The president made a very good speech.
14. Our team made many goals.
15. I asked him when will you marry?
16. My students let me to had a cup of tea today.
17. We didn’t expect that it will rain today.
18. Can you tell me where is the station? 

3. Correct the following sentences.

1. He walked careless in the room and hit me.
2. The girl danced beautiful and captivated us.
3. I ran fastly to catch the train.
4. She found it very hardly to teach them.
5. They love their country bad.
6. The boy ate much than I and got fatter.
7. He is not a good man but speak English good.
8. You already have done the cooking but you have not yet cleaned the house.
9. The little girl looked at me so friendly.
10. We hard play cricket on Sunday.
11. We did our job hasty and went to school.
12. The teacher left the class ten minutes before.
13. My father is too kind to me.
14. It is very difficult to go out now.
15. Do not misrepresent others always.
16. The project was fastly and nice completed.
17. Our students are good behaved.
18. The little boy knows swimming.
19. Some time I think if this happens, why does it happen like that?
20. All except Ali was present and no other but he helped us all.

4. Correct the following sentences.

He yesterday left his bag here.
Often I think about his future.
Slowly, we moved to the edge of the river.
I even cannot imagine such a grave sin.
Can you fluently speak English?
2 comments

2 comments :

  1. ANSWERS

    1. Correct the following Adverbs.

    1. He has friendly relations so he meets in a friendly way.
    2. They were cowardly so they ran in a cowardly manner.
    3. She was a manly girl and behaved in a manly way.

    2. Correct the following sentences.

    1. He died yesterday.
    2. The old man was thirsty and he drank water/milk.
    3. Please go and get your beard trimmed.
    4. His brother absented himself from class yesterday.
    5. Wise people always avail themselves of opportunities.
    6. The tea tastes so strangely.
    7. He worked and qualified for the job.
    8. I bathed and went to mosque.
    9. Are you listening to this noise?
    10. She behaves as if she were a princess.
    11. I wish I passed my exam!
    12. Don’t you live here, do you?
    13. The president delivered a very good speech.
    14. Our team scored many goals.
    15. I asked him when he will marry.
    16. My students let me have a cup of tea today.
    17. We didn’t expect that it would rain today.
    18. Can you tell me where the station is?

    3. Correct the following sentences.

    1. He walked carelessly in the room and hit me.
    2. The girl danced beautifully and captivated us.
    3. I ran fast to catch the train.
    4. She found it very hard to teach them.
    5. They love their country badly.
    6. The boy ate more than I and got fatter.
    7. He is not a good man but speaks English well.
    8. You have already done the cooking but you have not cleaned the house yet.
    9. The little girl looked at me so friendlily.
    10. We hardly play cricket on Sunday.
    11. We did our job hastily and went to school.
    12. The teacher left the class ten minutes ago.
    13. My father is very kind to me.
    14. It is very difficult to go out now.
    15. Do not always misrepresent others.
    16. The project was fast and nicely completed.
    17. Our students are well-behaved.
    18. The little boy knows how to swim.
    19. Sometime, I think if this happens, why does it happen?
    20. All except Ali was present and no other than he helped us all.

    4. Correct the following sentences.

    Yesterday, he left his bag here.
    I often think about his future.
    We slowly moved to the edge of the river.
    I cannot even imagine such a grave sin.
    Can you speak English fluently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thanks... https://www.seoexpertindelhi.in/google-word-coach/

    ReplyDelete