Spoken: Important Questions and Functions



In every day speech, we need to discuss some issues. For discussions to take place, we need functional discussion techniques which help us speak effectively.

(1) How to ask and give opinions
  • Do you think that we should learn English?
  • What do you think of politics?
  • As for as I believe, joing Pakistani politics is a bad idea.
  • In my opinion, it is a complete waste of time.
  • Actually/In fact, those who are slow, fail here.

(2) How to delay the answer?
  • That’s a very interesting question.
  • Well, it depends on what you mean by that.
  • Well, it depends on how you see it?
  • Let me think before I answer!

(3) How to give arguments?
  • First of all, we should be friendly but strict and if students persist, we should complain. 
  • This may be right but my argument is that coeducation can be damaging in advanced classes.
  • On the one hand people want to learn English; on the other hand they don't want to practice much.

(4) How to show probability?
  • I expect/I doubt, there seems to be a problem. 
  • I can only speculate on the future. I can't speak of what will happen.
  • I am not sure that this happens. 
  • Success depends on how to solve the issue!

(5) How to show Agreement/Disagreement?
  • I certainly agree with you if are ready to accept it.
  • I don’t agree that English is a difficult language.
  • I am afraid I cannot agree. These people should be severely punished.

(6) How to counter people's opinions?
  • But what if you experience the same thing.
  • But why do we have double standards?
  • That may be true but there are always exceptions.
  • You may be right, but see how things have changed.
  • Why don’t you accept what is right and wrong?
  • What is wrong with applying all these rules?
No comments

No comments :

Post a Comment